Thursday, November 11, 2004

What was that?

For my ride home tonight, I was wearing a pullover windbreaker with one of the pouch pockets in the front. I guess I forgot to zip it up before I left. I was moving at top speed with cars coming up behind me, when I heard something hit the ground. I looked and saw an old pair of safety glasses that I use to keep the wind out of my eyes hot the ground and go flying in to the middle lane. I thought, too bad, and kept peddling. Then I heard a more solid click on the ground, and watched my cell phone take a similar path. This time, I came to halt in-between lanes of stopped traffic. I ran the bike to the sidewalk, and headed back into the road to get my phone. I had to hold my hands up to keep some guy from running over the phone. It was about three feet in front of his right tire. I picked it up, and noticed the battery was gone. I then saw it in the right lane. Popped it back in the phone and turned it on. It worked perfectly. Then I ran back out into the road and retrieved the glasses for tomorrow morning's ride. Thank God all this happened at 7:00 rather than rush hour at 5:00. No way either the phone or the glasses would have made it. Probably no way I would have been able to get back out into the road to retrieve them.

No comments: