Monday, November 08, 2004

Bad things happen on Fridays...

It always seems that way at least. I came home Friday around 6:00, only to have the maintenance guy for our building stop. He informed me that one of the pipes in our unit was leaking, and the water was running down into the bookstore. They shut off our water, and told us that it would not be worked on until Monday. That sent me flying. I had to spend all weekend without water? The maintenance guy and the plumber both disappeared from the building after that. Never to be heard from again.
The building management company was basically unresponsive. She just said that it was bad situation, and if I wanted to pay for it, she would send a plumber out on Saturday. Now, there is no way that I am paying for a plumber on the weekend. We finally got hold of one of the developers. He said it was his fault that the pipe was leaking, and gave us the keys to one of the penthouse units so we could take care of the three S's.
Now, on Friday, the maintenance guy told me the leak was in the bathroom. They were planning on demolishing the shower to get at the leak. On Saturday, we noticed that the kitchen wall looked funny. The splashguard on the counter was pulling away, and some of the paint was peeling. I reached under the counter, and the wall was wet and crumbly. Turns out, the leak was in the kitchen. Thank God we found that out before they started tearing up the bathroom. There is a small "exploratory hole" in the bathroom wall that they will need to fix.
Turns out that the moron who installed the kitchen cabinets and countertops put a wood screw through the piping. It took this long for the screw to rust out, and the pipe to leak everywhere. When I left this morning, they were having to tear apart the kitchen cabinets and coutertops. Why? Because the idiot who installed them also used enough construction adhesive to keep Courtney Love's legs together. Just another example of the shoddy workmanship that pervades this building. I am hoping that the repair job looks no worse than the original kitchen, but I have my doubts. I just hope we have water to use tonight, in our own unit. It's like living in the dorms again, only the bathroom is eight floors up with a skyline view.

No comments: