Saturday, November 20, 2004

Lunch meetings.

My boss and I had a meeting yesterday about an upcoming presentation that I need to make. When I got to his office, he sat there trying to search for something on the internet for about five minutes. Didn't even turn to look at me. He made a few damning remarks about not being able to find whatever it was he was looking for, while I sat there quietly. Then he gets up, comes over to the table where I am, and begins looking at my slides. Again, he doesn't say anything for five minutes. Then he throws them aside and says, "Take a walk with me." The first stop was the men's room where we discussed the quality of the workmanship (or lack thereof) in the renovations being made to the building, while he took a leak. I just washed my hands. We end up walking down to the little lunch restaurant near the labs. He orders himself something, doesn't even wait to see if I am going to order something, and directs me to one of the outdoor tables to continue our meeting over his soup and my air.
Now, I am one that believes that if the boss calls a lunch meeting he should provide lunch. Common courtesy. I knew that wouldn't happen, so I planned on having lunch after the meeting. I figured he wouldn't be eating at that time, since he was leaving the office at 1:00 anyway. But, for him to make me follow him to a little luncheonette and order lunch, while I am there, and not even offer to get lunch for me, or wait for me to order my own stuff is a little ridiculous. I mean, what is picking up a sandwich for me to him? Especially when you consider what he makes and what I make. Sometimes I miss the corporate world.

Most of the time I don't.

No comments: