Thursday, November 04, 2004

After yesterday's post...

I would be remiss if I didn't say that I am glad that the election process is over. And in a much shorter timeframe than I ever thought possible.

Today was the first semi-cold commute into work. I actually had to put on gloves about a mile into the ride. I was struggling to get them out of my pocket at a red light, hoping that the light would stay red for long enough. It didn't, and I had to ride a couple of blocks with only one glove on. It really wasn't that cold, but enough to annoy my fingers. It was nice not o be sweating like mad the entire way in. I was very comfortable when I got to the building. I can only hope that the rain holds off for the rest of the day, so I can bike home dry tonight.

Motivation. Why does it seem so fleeting for me. Today in a meeting, my boss got me all motivated about my current project. After my little presentation, I felt ready to get back into the lab and really tackle. But, after about 20 minutes, that feeling went away. Here I am, back at the computer, wasting time, and wishing I could be back on the bike. I have an excuse though, because the spectrometer needs to warm up for at least 30 minutes before running my experiments. Although, I am supposed to be typing up a progress report for my boss. I really wish that I could stay motivated at anything I do.
The only thing I have ever been motivated to do were mechanical type things. Building golf clubs, fixing the bike, or re-building the closets. I thought that the research end of engineering would be similar to that, but it seems I am wrong. I mostly enjoy creating tangible things. Something I can hold onto, throw in the air, and most importantly something that makes a lot of noise when I toss a mistake in the trash can. A TEM grid doesn't really make any noise when you throw it away. Hell, you can hardly see it. How many have I dropped on the floor, never to be found again? Nano, nano, nano...

No comments: