Saturday, March 01, 2014

The first week of PT

Just finished my first week of physical therapy for the IT band issue that I have. It is not nearly as painful as I thought it would be... so far. I imagine that it will ramp up in intensity as I build some more strength around the hip/glute area of the legs. So far, the worst experience has been running on the Alter G treadmill. I was trying to explain it to some co-workers. Basically, you wear rubber shorts, zip into a bubble, which inflates with air and lifts you by said shorts. It felt OK for about the first 2 minutes, then the air in the bubble got Arizona hot and the compression on the boys was getting to be too much. I was working at 70% weight. I could definitely focus on stride more than on a regular treadmill. I tried hard to keep each foot in its own lane, avoiding the crossover hip whip that I was doing previously. I also focused on a balanced arm swing, without the the floppy T-rex form that I normally use. By the time it ended, I was happy to get out of the thing. The woman before had run 30 minutes in it, which I could not have endured. Perhaps her lack of external genitals aided in her ability to last that long.

Actually during the very first session, which included a stride analysis, I spent 7 minutes on the regular treadmill with no pain. I took that as a good sign for the start of treatment.

No comments: