Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Trail running and responsibility Part II - Also Hunting and Responsibility

As someone who is active in both running and shooting sports, I find it especially disturbing when the two combine in a tragic way. I typically love the idea of combining trail running and shooting, a la summer biathlon. But, combining trail running and hunting can be a dangerous mix.

Yesterday, in Cape Cod, a hunter shot a jogger. Link to Article in Cape Cod Times. According to the article, it may be the case that the hunter fired twice on the jogger. I would say that both parties are lucky that the jogger did not die (especially the jogger). Also, according to the article, the jogger was wearing a white shirt. One might think that white shirt would set oneself apart from a wild animal, but apparently not. There are three points that came to mind when reading this article:

1) It is the hunter's responsibility to identify the target as a legal species to hunt. It is also the hunter's responsibility to understand the trajectory of the projectile and to be sure of his firing line, both in front of and beyond the target. In this case, the jogger had his dog with him, which could easily be mistaken, in fading light, for a deer. Perhaps, the hunter fired at the dog, and hit the jogger. Either way, this shooting is entirely on the hunter. I have heard stories of hunters so anxious to get a deer, that they fire on noise, or brush movement, rather than on a positively identified deer. It is a scary fact that this happens.

2) I always try to wear orange when running (or even hiking) in areas where hunting is permitted. A large field of orange is your best bet for being identified as a human. I'll make sure that my top layer is blaze orange during hunting season.

3) I think it is up to the users of the trails in parks/forests/managed areas to know the hunting season. It's something I definitely pay attention to when I am heading out in the fall and winter. I don't necessarily want to 100% rely upon points 1 and 2 above to keep me safe.

I was in a situation where a ranger with DNR in MD advised me that "You will encounter hunters." when she saw that I was about to go running in one of the State Parks. I asked her if she was telling me not to run (I was wear blaze orange jacket and hat), and she responded, "I'm not saying that. I'm saying you will encounter hunters." Her emphasis on the situation spooked me enough that I went to a county park where hunting was prohibited.

I have also been in a situation where I was running in a state park in which hunting is expressly forbidden, and signs are posted at the boundaries. As I came off the trail, I observed a hunter hauling a tree stand and bow into the park off the side of the road. When I got back to my office I called the police and informed them of what I saw. When I left my office and passed by the location where the hunter had been, I saw the cops talking to the man, and all of his equipment was on the side of the road. I'm not sure what was happening, but it sure seemed like this was the case of hunter with no clue (or no regard) for the laws that were in place to protect the many park users who run and bike there.

Bottom line: stay safe, and take every precaution to protect yourself.

No comments: